The 1950s saw the succession of three deans with ties to Tulane University—deans who turned the business school away from dwindling opportunities in public service to growing possibilities in the private sector. It was also the decade in which the School formed new ties with the greater St. Louis business community and launched its first graduate program.
The history of the Washington University mascot, the bear, is colorful in its own right, and intertwined with that of its home institution. Since the bear’s beginnings, University athletic teams, fraternities, and administration have all had a hand in shaping its appearance and function.
In 1988 William E. Simon, president of the John M. Olin Foundation, and Chancellor William H. Danforth announced a grant of $15 million from the foundation to Washington University to name the John M. Olin School of Business. At the time, it was the largest grant ever made by the John M. Olin Foundation, and honors the memory of a famous business leader and philanthropist, John Merrill Olin.
These photographs from University Archives offer a glimpse into dorm rooms of students in decades past. And while these images span more than nine decades, many similarities remain evident.
For more than three decades, the Century Club speaker series has brought business leaders to the school to share their insights and knowledge with the Olin community.
Following a period of significant change during Dean Isador Loeb's long tenure, the 1940s were dominated by World War II and its aftermath as GIs returned home and life was supposed to return to ‘normal’.
In 1918, when Margaret Haase entered the Business School, the United States was just beginning its career as a world power, women could not vote, and Prohibition was just around the corner. In 1920, she became the business school's first female graduate.
Gary Hochberg’s mild manner, friendly welcome, and sincere interest in each and every one of his students is legendary at Olin. The growth of the undergraduate program is largely credited to his 25-year tenure as Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs.
We remember the now-demolished Prince Hall, named after Frank J. Prince, where Olin Business School moved after a post-World War II enrollment boom forced the school to move out of Duncker Hall.
As the first World War was nearing its end, Washington University was introducing a business school: the School of Commerce and Finance. The 1920s were a pivotal time for the fledgling school, and the deans leading the school during this era influenced the direction and focus of the business school for years to come.
Celebrating a century in business
Submit photos, memories, or stories or share using #Olin100 on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.